Monday, April 30, 2007

Being Prepared

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." D&C 38:30 A good bit of counsel that can apply to many things.
  1. If I have studied I need not fear the exams.
  2. If I have saved I need not fear being broke.
  3. If I have food and water stored I need not fear being hungry or thirsty
  4. If I am out of debt I need not fear the creditors.
  5. If I have gas in the car I need not fear running out.
  6. If I pray, and study and serve I need not fear disappointing God.
Maintain a supply of food, water and money at home for emergencies. It can be acquired a can at a time and a dollar at a time. Aim for a weeks extra of food, then 3 months, then a year, and rotate it regularly. Then if there is a disaster, or you are out of work, or a neighbor or family member needs help you can give it, and rejoice that you can.

Pay back to God from each paycheck. Pay yourself (via savings) after that, then learn to manage with what is left. Get out of debt. One way to do this is to put any extra you may have towards paying off either the highest interest debt or the one to finish first. Then the money that was going to that debt is diverted to paying off the next debt and the pattern is repeated until you are debt free.

Stuff will not make you happy. Stuff never does for long.

No comments: