Sunday, April 1, 2007

Parable of the cat



I have a cat who likes to sleep on my chest. In order to allow him to do this I have a sash which I wear across my shoulder, over my head. When he is settled I knot the sash securely around him and he sleeps in perfect contentment.

Although he is perfectly secure and I add my arms to support him, as soon as I stand up he panics and will not remain within his safe wrappings, even though my arms are about him. I cannot compel him to remain and he leaves, unwilling to remain and go where I go.

How often do we do the same thing? We have come unto God and are wrapped in His arms, safe in his bosom, secure in His love and watchcare. Then God, still holding us close, desires to take us to another place and a different challenge, and we panic, choosing to leave the safety of His embrace.

God did not cease to watch over and care for us. He would have continued to hold us secure and safe, but we would not. We, like Peter, saw the place where we were and lost our trust in God's care.

Let us remember that His arms are always open to us. While we rest securely there we may still have challenges, but can always know that He is with us and we are His.

No comments: