Thursday, March 22, 2007

Responsibility and Rights

Which is more important, individual rights or personal responsiblity? Should they be connected, and if so how much?

Many voices in the United States and elsewhere in the world have become very shrill in defense of their rights. It is important to defend our rights because it is very easy to have them slowly slip away if we do not. Rarely heard, and rarely shrill are the voices for individual responsibility. It has become very easy to blame others, or expect government or others to do for us what we should be doing for ourselves.

Each of us can do our bit to return the principle of personal responsibility into society. I can accept responsiblity for the condition of my home. I can accept responsibilty for how I fulfill my church and work duties. I can be responsible for my actions and words. I can refuse to blame others for my own choices, or lack of choosing.

No comments: