Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Why Rules?

A news article I read today about the body of a college student being found in a high-voltage room, electrocuted, reminds me of why rules are important. While how it happened that this young man got into the room that required passing through two locked doors is not yet known, it does serve as an example of why rules are important.

It is unlikely that any reasonable person would think that locked doors or high fences around high voltage transformers is an infringement of their rights of movement, yet these same people assert that such rules as chastity before marriage and fidelity afterwards are restrictive and can be disobeyed with safety. As surely as proximity to high voltage can result in electrocution, so can disobedience to Gods laws result in spiritual electrocution. Broken hearts, broken families, STDs, AIDS, reduced standards of living and many other problems occur when these laws are violated.

Just think, if I am chaste and faithful to my spouse and he to me, I am free to not contact any STD. I am free to have a loving companion through life. I am free to raise any children in a two-parent home. I am free to have an unbroken heart. I am free to trust my mate. I am free to go through life with no need to lie about my behavior, or who I was with, or what I was doing.

Really restrictive isn't it?

No comments: